SAVE THE DATE
This course will be held again on
March 29 – 31, 2023.
Information contained in this site is for the 2022 program.
Information for the 2023 program not yet available.
The Comprehensive 2022 Sports Medicine Update
Sports Medicine 2022 will be held online this year, using live streaming, electronic Q&A, and other remote learning technologies.
In the past year, there have been a number of very significant clinical changes that affect the way we diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate sports injuries incurred by elite athletes, weekend warriors, and patients with active lifestyles.
This comprehensive update provides education for state-of-the-art approaches to the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of sports injuries. It also provides a special and timely opportunity to hear directly from world-renowned physician specialists (physiatrists, orthopedists, radiologists); team physicians and athletic trainers for the Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution and New England Patriots; and physical therapists on the cutting edge of rehabilitation about these changes. Education is practical, coupling updates with guidance on how to incorporate them into practice to improve:
- Treatment outcomes for acute and overuse injuries of the spine, knee, hip, foot, and ankle, along with upper extremity conditions of the shoulder, neck, elbow, hand, and wrist
- The effectiveness and expediency of physical evaluations
- Appropriate diagnostic imaging and interpretation
- Rehabilitation and safe return to play
- Non-surgical management of injuries
- Decisions to refer patients for surgery
- Multidisciplinary team-based treatment with physicians, physical therapists, and athletic trainers
- Injury prevention
- Treatment of special populations, including NFL football, adaptive sports, ski medicine, performing artists, and wilderness medicine
- Advances in orthobiologic treatments and shockwave for management of injuries
The format is engaging, and attendees are encouraged to pose questions in sessions as well as one-on-one with the national and international experts who will be delivering the updates and education at this event.
Reasons to Attend
Unique to this program is its immersive, fast-paced, 360-degree educational experience. You will learn about changes and advances in sports medicine from three critical, interrelated perspectives:
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Musculoskeletal Radiology
Educational highlights include:
- The most effective methods, both surgically and non-surgically, to manage injuries to tendons, joints, muscles, and ligaments in athletes vs. non-athletes
- When and how to utilize cutting-edge regenerative sports medicine treatments, including evidence for cost-effectiveness
- Advances in evaluation and treatment of shoulder injuries, including SLAP tears and instability
- Understanding sex differences in risk factors and optimal management of injury
- Effective treatment of upper extremity injuries for adaptive sport athletes
- Recognizing upper extremity injuries, including nerve entrapment and osteochondral lesions, and treatments that account for differences by sport
- Approach to management of neurological conditions and headaches in athletes
- Athlete wellness: mental health, sleep medicine, and cardiac considerations following COVID-19
- Guidance for point-of-care ultrasound for evaluation and treatment of sports injuries in the clinic and on the sideline
- Optimized approaches for interpreting images and making decisions about operative vs. conservative management
- Clinical strategies to account for age, gender, and patient conditions
- Management of chronic tendon disorders
- Youth sport topics, including identifying and treating growth-related injuries and promoting physical activity
Optimized for Remote Education
The 2022 program has been enhanced for distance learning. In addition to being live streamed, all sessions will be recorded and made available to participants for online viewing for 90 days after the end of the course.